The legacy of Hodges Funeral Home dates back to the post-World War II era, when a young veteran named Nathan Hodges Jr. chose to begin a career as a mortician and embalmer. That choice led him from his hometown of Meridian north to Oxford, where he joined what was then Bankhead-McEwen Funeral Home, later Bankhead-Weems, as an embalmer and funeral director.
After a brief stint in Aberdeen, he returned to Oxford as a junior partner in Bankhead-Weems-Hodges Funeral Home and, in 1967, purchased the business and made it his own. The funeral home remained in the same location it had held since 1934, at 604 Jackson Avenue until it relocated in 1987 to Highway 30 East near Highway 7.
Over the course of his career, Nathan Hodges Jr. earned broad respect as a community leader. He was among a core group of black and white citizens who worked together to safely and successfully carry out the integration of Oxford Public Schools in the late 1960s.
Since the death of Nathan Hodges Jr. in 2002, the funeral home has gone through several transitions. And today, LaVera Hodges is still serving families of north Mississippi while continuing the proud legacy the Hodges name conveys. LaVera has been involved in the funeral home professionally, since 1973 and has been a licensed mortician for nearly 36 years.